Rural Retreat to become Shentel FTTH Community
Posted 9 April 2013 12:00 AM by Shentel
EDINBURG, VA, (April 9, 2013) – Shenandoah Telecommunications Company (Shentel) (NASDAQ: SHEN) has announced that the town of Rural Retreat in Wythe County, Va., will become a Fiber-To-The-Home community this fall (2013).
What does this mean for Rural Retreat? Shentel FTTH technology will replace the standard copper wire with fiber optic cable. It is the most advanced method to deliver the fastest Internet, the clearest phone and the sharpest TV to your home.
Rural Retreat customers will experience all the Internet has to offer at speeds up to 50Mbps – that’s more than 30 times faster than 1.5Mbps DSL from the local telephone company. With Shentel High-Speed Internet you will be able to:
- Download movies in minutes
- Stream live sporting events.
- Meet all challengers in real-time online gaming contests.
- Video conference without the buffering. Share precious moments with family and friends.
Rural Retreat customers also will have access to the best in Digital TV:
- Enjoy more than 250 channels including all major networks and all of the top 10 ranked cable channels: TBS, Discovery, USA, TNT, TWC, Nickelodeon, Food Network, ESPN2, C-Span, CNN, TLC and ESPN.
- Shentel High Definition programming lets you pair your HDTV with the movie-quality picture and sound of HD.
- Choose HD DVR service (digital video recorder) and watch television on your schedule. Record up to 100 hours or program your DVR to record a single show or every episode of a series. Record and watch TV at the same time. Pause and replay live action. It is TV on your terms.
Rural Retreat customers also will have access to clear quality home phone service with a variety of calling features such as Voicemail, Caller ID, Call Forwarding and Speed Dial. These features are included in the cost of phone service. Choose between Unlimited calling to anywhere in the United States and Unlimited Local Calling.
More information will be available on Shentel.com as this project progresses. Rural Retreat residents will receive information directly from Shentel. If you have questions, please call 1-800-SHENTEL.
About Shenandoah Telecommunications
Shenandoah Telecommunications Company is a holding company that provides a broad range of telecommunications services through its operating subsidiaries. The Company is traded on the NASDAQ Global Select Market under the symbol “SHEN.” The Company’s operating subsidiaries provide local and long distance telephone, Internet and data services, cable television, wireless voice and data services, alarm monitoring, and telecommunications equipment, along with many other associated solutions in the Mid-Atlantic United States.